POLICE ASSOCIATION OF NOVA SCOTIA 79 continued... Who can help? Ifyou or someone you know is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1. If your area does not have a 9-1-1 service, call your local police emergency number. The police are trained to help you deal with dangerous situations. They are there to investigate and can also help you to get a peace bond. They can also refer you to victim services. Victim services or a lawyer can help you get a noncriminal protection order to keep the person who abused you away from you. If the situation isn't dangerous right now, you can also call a health centre, victim services, community organization, shelter, or the local police and tell them about the abuse. They can help you to figure out what to do next. When you ask officials like the police, a social worker or a lawyer for information, you can ask them to keep your concerns confidential. The list below can help you find people or groups that might be able to help you with information, support or emergency assistance. Victim Services Victim services organizations work with the police to help victims of crime. They can help you develop a plan and find ways to protect yourself. They can connect you with services for food, clothing and shelter and may be able to provide interpretation services so you can speak with someone in a language you are comfortable in. See the Victim Services Directory1 to find services across Canada. 1 See Resource Page for web address. Community organizations Many community organizations provide social services. These organizations may have someone who can listen to you and talk about your choices. They may be able to refer you to a lawyer if you need one or refer you to other services such as financial assistance. Some of these community organizations may have services in your first language. Multicultural or immigrant serving organizations may be able to give you information and refer you to helpful services. See also, the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Directory of Newcomer Services. Family doctor Or Public Health Nurse Your family doctor can give you advice on what to do if you are being abused. He or she can help you with your physical or psychological injuries or may refer you to someone who can. Many provinces and territories also have 24-hour health telephone help. Call your provincial or territorial government for information about health and social support services in your community or ask your local community centre for advice. They may be able to offer information, counselling and provide referrals to social workers. You can look in your phone book or on the internet for your local number. These numbers or links may change. Remember to keep them up to date. Friends, Family, Neighbours Speak with someone you trust about the abuse. People cannot help you if they do not know what is happening to you. Government of Canada Gouvernement du Canada GET HELP WITH FAMILY VIOLENCE